Ph.D. Degree Requirements
Check List of Graduate School Requirements for Ph.D. Candidates
The following is a summary of Graduate School requirements that Ph.D. students must meet before the Office of Graduate Programs may approve their graduation. For more detailed information on these and other requirements, please refer to the Graduate Degree Programs Bulletin.
- Residency requirement. After passing the doctoral candidacy examination, students must be registered full time for two semesters in a twelve-month period. This may include the semester of candidacy examination if it is taken during spring or fall.
- A candidate for the Ph.D. must have satisfied the departmental English Competency Test before taking the Comprehensive Examination.
- Three or more months must have elapsed between the passing of the Comprehensive Examination and scheduling of the Final Oral Examination.
- The Final Oral Examination must be held within six years of the date the Comprehensive Examination was passed. If more than six years have passed, a second Comprehensive Examination must be given before scheduling the Final Oral Examination.
- Continuous registration requirement. Students must be registered continuously each semester (excluding summers, but see below*) beginning with the semester following the passing of the Comprehensive Examination and continuing each semester until the Final Oral Examination is passed.
- Time limitations. All requirements including submission of the thesis must be completed within eight years of the Candidacy date.
✳Students MUST be registered the semester of the Candidacy Examination, the Oral Comprehensive Examination, and the Final Oral Examination - even if taken during summer session. Students should register for Ch E 600 or ChE 601 as appropriate.
No missing or deferred grades can appear on a student's transcript when the Oral Comprehensive Examination of the Final Oral Examination is scheduled.
Students must have at least a 3.0 grade point average to schedule and Oral Comprehensive Examination or Final Oral Examination and to graduate.
✳These are Graduate School requirements only and do not include specific program/department requirements.✳
Updated on 07/23/14