FAQs for Undergraduate Advising

Chemical Engineering: Common Advising Questions

1. How do I meet with my advisor?

Go to starfish at: http://starfish.psu.edu/ and sign up for a time to meet. Find your advisor under “my success network”

2. What, how, when do I petition?

a. How do I petition? https://coursesub.psu.edu

b. What can I petition?

    i.     3/6/9 (GA, GH, GS)

   ii.     CHEM4XX can be 408, 448, 452, 464 for CHEM466 (for juniors & seniors)

  iii.     CHE4XX for CHE360

  iv.     Most professional electives will need to be petitioned.

   v.     Transfer credits that satisfy Penn State requirements

c. When should I petition my classes? 

    i.    After you have signed up for the course but before you graduate.

   ii.    Note that some petitions require University approval – please submit these ASAP for longer approval period

3. What Professional elective should I take?

a. You can count most 200 level courses as long as it will help your professionally. This is a chance to explore other interests that you might have.

b. If you are pursuing a minor, you may use 6 credits of the minor as professional electives.

c. Typically not a GA/GH/GS or GHA

d. ENGR courses will only count as a professional elective

4. How do I look at my degree audit?

a. Log on to Lionpath and find academic requirements.

b. The courses that you have taken will be collapsed (arrow to the right). The other courses that you need will be expanded (arrow down).

c. Also – at the top of each section Lionpath will state how many credits you have left in that section.

5. How do language courses count?

a. A language course can be used for a professional elective

b. The 3rd language course can be used for a GA/GH or GS 

6. How should I take my 300-level courses?

a. First take 320 and 330, then 340 and 350

b. You may take 330 and 350 concurrently but it is a bad idea to take 350 before 330

c. You can take either CHE330 or CHE350 as a pre-req for CHE410

7. Are prerequisites taken seriously? 


8. Should I do a minor?

If you have a special interest in an area and available space in your schedule, then the answer is yes

9. How do co-ops and internships count?

a. ENGR195, 295 and 395 can count as a professional elective.  It can also count as an engineering elective under UPC approval based in your reports.

b. Your co-op reports may also give you credit for ENGL202C. This credit by examination is administered by the English department.  http://www.engr.psu.edu/career/students/coopintern/creditoptions/courses.aspx



The Penn State Department of Chemical Engineering, established in 1948, is recognized as one of the largest and most influential chemical engineering departments in the nation.

The department is built upon the fundamentals of academic integrity, innovation in research, and commitment to the advancement of industry.

Department of Chemical Engineering

119 Greenberg Complex

The Pennsylvania State University

University Park, PA 16802-4400

Phone: 814-865-2574